Wedding, glorious reds, roses, lavender and love – Six on Saturday – 29 September

Wedding, glorious reds, roses, lavender and love – Six on Saturday –  29 September

If we earn money (or products) from the companies mentioned in this post we will DISCLOSE this clearly - Please see our disclosure policy.

This weekend, some of the plants in the garden are fading away and some are reaching their full glory.  We’ve had sunny, warm weather in Manchester (20C degrees) – though it’s been windy.   I’ve been happily reflecting on the year that’s gone by.   It’s our first wedding anniversary this weekend, so we’re away.

I’m joining up with the Propagator and his band of gardeners from around the world for Six on Saturday (though I wrote and photographed this post on Friday – I hope the scheduling works = oops it didn’t). Here’s his latest post for 29 September 2018,

It’s very simple – take photos of six things around your garden or locality and write about them – it can be anything from plants, to new projects, disasters or wild successes.  I’ll be catching up with all the posts next week

1. Arbour on the decking

Wooden arbour seat with pitched roof

Arbour with Salvia Armisted

This is the new Arbour finished – we used some of our garden centre wedding vouchers 🙂 We’re thinking about painting it to match the fence.  What do you think?

2. Hydrangea

Hydrangea panticularta white flower head fading to pink

Hydrangea fading to pink – limelight

I took a photo of this last week – it was pure white. six on Saturday – Hydrangea Panticularta – 22 September 2018

3. Saliva with Yoda

yoda and red salvia

yoda and red salvia

As you can see, they’re in front of the arbour at the bottom of the garden.  The salvia came from B&Q so the label was less than helpful – Red. It’s about 18 high at the moment and is enjoying the late September sunshine.

Yoda arrived in the garden about six years ago – he moves around but has been at the bottom of the garden all year.  I love yoda and he’s appeared many times on the blog – #yoda. I’ve loved Star Wars since I saw it aged 11 in 1976, so it’s been mentioned a few times too – Star Wars

4. Sunset? Rose

orange rose with thorns

orange rose with thorns

This beautiful rose was one of the few flowers in my front garden when I bought the house nine years ago.  Its bud is a deep orange, opening and then fading to a faded red, orange and yellow – like watching a sunset. It has a fairly strong rose scent so I think it’s an older style rose. It usually flowers in two bursts in June/July and September but depending on weird weather conditions it’s flowered in November and January (in different years!)

This rose has appeared in vases often:

Fellow gardeners – any idea what its name might be?

5. Virginia Creeper – red!

virginia creeper red on wall

virginia creeper on our neighbour’s wall – 29th September 2018

a fence covered in red virginia creeper leaves

red virginia creeper

It’s been sunny and warm here in Manchester this week – and as you can see the neighbour’s Virginia Creeper is looking stunning. Two weeks ago it was was green

6. Our first wedding anniversary 🙂

I hope you don’t mind that these pictures are from a year ago, but my wedding bouquet had lavender flowers we’d grown in our garden.  All the flowers from my wedding bouquet had special meanings for us but I’ll write about that another time.  Lavender is my favourite flower and My Chap loves it too.    We have about 15 lavender bushes around the front garden – it loves the full sun and rubbly conditions.

wedding bouquet - lavender (from our garden), antique lilac rose, aster, freesias

my wedding bouquet – lavender (from our garden), antique lilac rose, aster, freesias, sea holly, eucalyptus

The lavender bushes in our garden have looked just as stunning as they did this time last year.  Every time I walk past lavender or smell the scent it reminds me of the BEST DAY.

me in purple wedding dress with husband jumping with backs to camera Abbeywood garden Cheshire

At Abbeywood Estate, Cheshire – 28 9 2017 – My Chap jumping for joy – Photo by Sara Porter Photography – our awesome wedding photographer

We had a flower, love, laughter and music filled wedding – I wore a dress in my favourite colour purple, covered in flowers.  We got married in a beautiful garden on a glorious September afternoon with our family and friends from near and far – We had an afternoon tea, two wedding cakes and dancing til very late. When you get married at our age you do exactly what you want 😉

Here’s some lyrics from a special song at our wedding –

You and me were always with each other
Before we knew the others was ever there
You and me we belong together
Just like a breath needs the air
I told you if you called I would come runnin’
Across the highs the lows and the in between…

you and me written and sung by you + me

YouTube video You and Me – You + Me

We love each other mind, body and spirit – we always will.  He’s my last and greatest love – my rock.  He thinks I’m pretty awesome too 🙂

*****

What happy memories do flowers or plants remind you of?
Do you know who sings ‘you and me’?

Have a lovely weekend – and fingers crossed my blog scheduling works 😉

Carpe Diem

love Bec 🙂

40 Comments

1. 01/10/2018 / 9:54 am

I love the rose photos, so beautiful, wishing you a very happy day.

2. 01/10/2018 / 10:56 am

Happy Anniversary. I don’t recommend painting the lattice. It will just be another garden chore that has to be done in a couple of years. Let it weather.

3. 01/10/2018 / 1:50 pm

What a lovely post and happy anniversary! Such a lovely pic of your chap jumping for joy and a lovely song to go with it.

• 01/10/2018 / 2:50 pm

thank you 🙂 he has form for jumping like that when he does charity runs for Motor Neurone Disease Association – I stay firmly on the ground.

4. 01/10/2018 / 1:53 pm

Happy anniversary! I had a September wedding too. I love that little Yoda, must find one for my garden. 😊

• 01/10/2018 / 2:49 pm

thank you very much. Happy anniversary to you too 🙂 My husband found yoda in a small garden centre in Blackburn

5. 01/10/2018 / 7:09 pm

Happy anniversary – your bouquet was beautiful!! We incorporated lavender into our wedding too and I loved the way that it made the church and the marquee smell. Whenever I smell it now it takes me right back to that day! Charlie xo

• 19/10/2018 / 7:10 pm

thank you 🙂 lavender has such a lovely scent – it seems to fill large spaces without being overpowering up close 🙂 thank you for your memories of your lovely wedding too 🙂 love Bec xx

6. Kintan Tanti Thurau
    01/10/2018 / 7:16 pm

Congratulations and happy anniversary dear. Such a wonderful flowers and garden and pictures. So much happiness and joy that shared it here.

Love, Kintan

7. 01/10/2018 / 8:10 pm

Happy Anniversary to you both, hope you had a great day celebrating, those lilac roses from your wedding bouquet are stunning and how special you were able to add the lavender from your own garden.

• 19/10/2018 / 7:12 pm

thank you 🙂 every time I see lilac roses like this they remind me of our wedding and my lovely sister in laws garden in Australia 🙂

8. 01/10/2018 / 10:52 pm

Love the other photos – however, that wedding picture is the best. Happy Anniversary!!

9. 02/10/2018 / 7:41 am

Your wedding flowers were stunning – happy anniversary. As someone who has done lots of DIY lately and wished I’d never started, leave it for the time being – especially as it’s likely to rain/snow etc, wait until spring!

10. 02/10/2018 / 9:11 am

Happy anniversary and lovely flowers! I wish I could some day live nearby a beautiful garden like yours. 🙂

• 02/10/2018 / 10:12 am

thank you 🙂 our garden is only small but it’s amazing what you can do in the space 🙂 I hope there’s a park near you that you can enjoy. I didn’t get a garden until I was 41 so it was parks, other peoples front gardens and my mum’s garden for my flower fix. love Bec 🙂

11. 02/10/2018 / 10:28 am

Happy Anniversary..Love the flowers beautiful colours in your bouquet 🙂

12. Pati Robins
    02/10/2018 / 12:01 pm

your sitting area in the garden looks just magical and perfect for spending those crisp and sunny autumn days with a good book x a nd your plants look really stunning

• 19/10/2018 / 7:13 pm

thank you – the weather has been really weird in manchester so when it’s been sunny it’s been warm so I’ve been in the garden reading/pottering 🙂 always lifts my mood x

13. 02/10/2018 / 1:38 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary! Your bouquet from the day is absolutely stunning x

14. 02/10/2018 / 1:45 pm

I love roses, they are my absolute fav and the colour of that sunset rose is just gorgeous! I adore your anniversary roses too! Congratulations of your anniversary 🙂

15. 02/10/2018 / 2:53 pm

Happy anniversary and I bloody love Yoda

My garden was flattened by the storm it I so sad to cut stuff back that is still in bloom

• 19/10/2018 / 7:16 pm

thank you – we had a lovely anniversary – My husband found the stone yoda in a garden centre in Blackburn – hope you can find one too. Yes I cut some roses ahead of the storm and had them indoors. the weather has just been so weird lately. fingers crossed for a dry weekend. love Bec 🙂

16. 02/10/2018 / 5:04 pm

What gorgeous wedding flowers! I really like the red creepers too.

• 19/10/2018 / 7:18 pm

thank you – the red virginia creeper leaves have all blown away now leaving red stems – it still looks beautiful though.

17. 02/10/2018 / 5:55 pm

I love seeing posts like this, sometimes we are so busy we forget to cherish the beautiful nature around Us. The roses are so gorgeous. Happy wedding anniversary xx

18. 02/10/2018 / 7:12 pm

Your garden is so beautiful! Congratulations on your anniversary! Those colours are so pretty!

19. 03/10/2018 / 5:59 am

Happy belated anniversary, you’ve made me want to nurture my garden even more

20. @cavershamjj
    03/10/2018 / 8:26 am

The urgent question I have is: why don’t I have a garden Yoda?

• 03/10/2018 / 9:52 am

my husband bought him from a garden centre in Blackburn about six years ago – and he’s never seen them there again 🙁 Yoda often moves around the garden as likes to be with plants in full bloom 🙂

21. 03/10/2018 / 7:45 pm

I love nature, plants and flowers, and I always stop when I spot a beauty!! These are all beautiful – wish I knew the names of the plants or flowers I walk past :/ How do I even begin to find out?

22. 03/10/2018 / 11:47 pm

So so lovely post you have shared, love all the pretty captures here. Thanks for sharing this, really enjoy reading this 😀 Cheers,siennylovesdrawing